A Guideline for using a Women Owned Small Business (WOSB) Sole Source:
- Contracting officers are allowed to conduct WOSB Sole Source procurements if the NAICS code assigned to the procurement is authorized for use under the WOSB Program. It is critical that you know which NAICS codes you can use to protect your agency and small business.
- G2 Ops Primary NAICS code is 541330 – Engineering Services
- Contractors shall note:
- The effective date for the new 2017 NAICS is October 1, 2017. See the Federal Register Notice.
- For solicitations published ON or AFTER the effective date for the newly authorized Economically Disadvantaged Women Owned Small Business (EDWOSB) and WOSB NAICS Codes, use
- 2017 WOSB NAICS Codes
- 2017 EDWOSB NAICS Codes
- WOSB or EDWOSB sole source requires you follow the same rules that you do for Service-Disabled Veteran- Owned Small Business or HUBZone Sole Source procurements. Contracting officers must ensure that the NAICS code assigned to the procurement is authorized for use under the WOSB Program. Detailed guidance is provided in FAR 19.1506.
- Contracting Officers can accept self-certification or third-party certification including 8(a) certification to comply with the FAR 19.1503 requirement for WOSB or EDWOSB set-aside contracts or Sole Source awards. They must verify whether offerors have provided all the required documents to Certify.SBA.gov.
A Check List for using the Women Owned Small Business (WOSB) Program:
- Determine the NAICS Code for the acquisition
- G2 Ops’ primary NAICS code is 541330 – Engineering Services
- Check the Small business website (www.sba.wosb.gov) for industries designated as an underrepresented or substantially underrepresented
- If the NAICS code is in an underrepresented industry, it can be set-aside for Economically Disadvantage Women Owned Small Business (EDWOSB)
- If the NAICS code is in a substantially underrepresented industry, it can be set-aside for WOSBs – in either case this would be determined by market research
- Conduct research – FAR Part 10 is the best resource for conducting market research
- Market research will determine how many businesses can perform the services you need
- If it is determined that G2 Ops is the only company out there with the capability/service, then a Sole Source is justified
- In addition, you must properly document the file. This important step includes: outlining the market research you conducted and validating that the NAICS code for the award is designated by the SBA as underrepresented if for a EDWOSB set-aside or substantially underrepresented if for a WOSB award.
Women Owned Small Business (WOSB) Justification and Approval Example:
For additional information regarding a WOSB Sole Source please contact G2 Ops’ Contracts Administrator, Anna Boardman at firstname.lastname@example.org.